Wednesday, May 27, 2020
Your Weekend Starts Here


SUN Lawyers are the people to go to, if you are looking to become a Span­ish resident, especially with Brexit...
By Barry Pitelen , in Spanish Residency Sun Lawyers , at July 29, 2019

SUN Lawyers are the people to go to, if you are looking to become a Span­ish resident, especially with Brexit looming even quicker around the corner.

The new UK Prime Min­ister, Boris Johnson, has pledged to get Britain out of the EU at the end of Octo­ber, deal or no deal, and that makes it just 100 days for you to get things sorted out!

If you are living perma­nently here already and don’t have a residencia, then you are breaking the law, and even if you just come over to Spain for a to­tal of 183 days, then you are classed as being a resident of Spain and you should apply for the official documents to get yourself registered.

It all may seem a bit daunting, but here at Sun Lawyers, we’ve lost count of how many times we’ve gone through this process down the decades, and it is straight-forward.

Sun Lawyers will do virtu­ally all the work for you to give you peace of mind, and make sure that you have all the correct documents to en­joy your time in Spain.

To live here permanently you must have the following:

  • Residencia
  • Padrón
  • SIP (a health card)

The requirements for the above will vary, depending on if you are a pensioner, working in Spain or a retiree.

Don’t worry as once you chat to us, the team at Sun Lawyers can sort out exactly what you will require!

This is what you need for each stage:-

Residency certificate

‘Residencia’ is a residence cer­tificate that states that you are living in Spain. It is im­portant to remember that in many areas you will need your residencia certificate before you apply for your padrón. The certificate is issued in the Foreigner’s Office or National Police station, depending on the area you live in.

In most cases, you will be able to receive your residen­cia the same day as you apply. It is important to bring all the necessary paperwork with you. The required paperwork differs between one town hall to the next, so before going you should always check.

You usually require:

  • NIE – your foreigner’s tax number
  • The form S1 if you are a pensioner, or proof of health insurance if not
  • Confirmation of payment for the residencia in the bank
  • The completed residency application form
  • Passport
  • Proof of income

The main thing to remem­ber is that you must show that your life in Spain is fi­nancially sustainable. This includes presenting bank statements for the last three months. You must show that you have a monthly income of at least €800 per person.

For those planning on working in Spain, your em­ployer must give you ‘un certificado de vida laboral’ – which is proof that you are working in Spain.

If you are under pension­able age, you must have proof of health insurance, if you do not have a contract to work. Health insurance must cover everything, and in some cases you might be asked to show proof of any contract. Alterna­tively, there are local health schemes in Spain you can use.

‘Convenio especial’ al­lows you to pay into Spanish health system on a monthly basis, but to qualify, you must have lived in Spain for a con­tinuous period of one year.

It is important to note however that convenio espe­cial does not cover the cost of health transport services or prescriptions plus health cov­erage in other EU countries.

If you come from another EU country, your residencia does not need to be renewed. Non-EU members must re­new their residencia every five years. For UK residents in Spain, the plans, based on Brexit, are for the residencia to be replaced by a Foreign­er’s ID card.

This, acccording to the Spanish government, will be a straight-forward swap, which means that you have to get your residencia sorted out now to avoid any problems down the line. That’s why you need to contact us at Sun Lawyers right now to get things sorted!

The padrón

A padrón is a certificate that allows you to apply for a SIP, which is a health card. Other local benefits that a padrón provides you with include en­rolling your child in a school, receiving a library card and obtaining a bus pass.

You must register at your local town hall to receive this three-month certificate. When registering bring the following with you:

  • Proof of where you are living e.g. a rental con­tract or Title Deed
  • Passport
  • Residencia – if you are applying for this first in your local area
  • A recent water bill and electricity bill

Once registered on the padrón, you can at any time request a copy from the Town Hall at which you are registered, and that copy certificate is valid for three months from the date of issue.  You will remain on the padrón until it expires after five years, at which point it will need to be renewed.

It is advisable to renew your registration on the pa­drón every five years, which is to confirm that your name is still on the register.

The town hall may ask people who have not had their certificate reissued for years to confirm that you still live in the area, which is a very quick process.

The SIP Card

Once you have obtained your residencia and padrón, you can now apply for a SIP health card, which gets you free health treatment, as well as prescriptions at a re­duced cost.

To get your card, you have to book an appointment at your local social security of­fice where you will need to present these documents:

  • Your NIE
  • Passport
  • S1 – if you are a pensioner
  • Padrón
  • Application form TA1

Once that process is done, you will get a registra­tion number which you then show to your local health centre to get your SIP card.

After obtaining your resi­dencia, padrón and SIP you have got all the basic docu­ments required to live as a resident in Spain.

These documents will make your life in Spain much easier, allowing you to relax knowing that every­thing has been taken care of.

If all of this sounds confus­ing, then let Sun Lawyers take you through it, and you can contact us for a free ini­tial consultation at our offic­es across the Costa Blanca.

Just call Sun Lawyers on (0034) 965 321 193
or email them at