Saturday, January 25, 2020
Your Weekend Starts Here


SOUTH COSTA BLANCA MAYORS MAKE NEW PLEA ON SCRAPPING MOTORWAY TOLLS

THREE Vega Baja region mayors have joined forces to call for tolls to be scrapped on the AP-7 motorway in…

By Alex Trelinski , in Costa Blanca South , at January 14, 2020 Tags:

THREE Vega Baja region mayors have joined forces to call for tolls to be scrapped on the AP-7 motorway in the area, following the northern section of the road going “toll-free” from last week.

Torrevieja mayor Eduardo Dolón, Orihuela´s Emilio Bascuñana, and Pilar de la Horadada´s José María Pérez Sánchez, made the fresh plea in the wake of the charges disappearing north of Alicante at the start of the New Year.

The trio of Partido Popular mayors said they wanted toll booths at Los Montesinos and La Zenia scrapped, meaning that the AP-7 would run toll-free south to Cartagena, thereby reducing congestion on the N-332.

Figures show that only seven thousand drivers use the AP-7 stretch between Los Montesinos and La Zenia per day in the summer, in stark contrast to the 50 thousand users on the N-332 in Torrevieja and the Orihuela Costa.

Going toll-free though appears to be easier said than done, as the contract of local franchise holder, Ausur, runs until 2048, with any buy-out or subsidy likely to run into many millions of euros, which some politicians argue could be spent on other things.

PSOE Socialist senator Ana Martinez said that it was all the fault of the Partido Popular in the first place as their government had awarded the 50-year contract to Ausur back in 1998.