THE CV 700 which connects Pego to Denia was closed for just under an hour on Sunday after a vehicle lost control and rolled into a nearby orange grove, ending up on its side.

The car was balanced precariously over a small drop and the female driver was trapped inside. Thankfully the rescue team managed to remove the woman safely through the tailgate of her car and the road was quickly re-opened.

The two-year project to convert the historic building on Calle Sant Josep 6, Denia, to allow it to house the new municipal library has now been completed.

A delegation from the council visited the site last week, which will also house the Arxiu offices and have a multi-purpose room. There has been talking of restoring the building since 2006 and a grant from the Ministry of Development finally made it possible and work started in September 2016.

The building used to be the home of a wealthy Denia family who made their fortune first with raisins and later toy manufacturer. The turret is probably the most striking aspect of the building which is in the heart of Denia. Many of the original features have been kept including an old Moorish mosaic that was uncovered during the restoration work.

ALCOY Town Hall has opened an enquiry into explicit sex scenes which were filmed in a juvenile leisure centre in the town and then posted to the internet.

The scenes involve youngsters but it is unclear if those involved are under-age or if the activity was consensual. The council said they have condemned the material in the strongest terms and passed it to the National Police for investigation.

Formula 1 has decided to end its tradition of using ‘grid girls’, saying it was at odds with modern “societal norms.” However, some of the women are now protesting on social media, saying their role was grossly misrepresented.
F1 announced the demise of the tradition in a short statement on Wednesday. “While the practice of employing grid girls has been a staple of Formula 1 Grands Prix for decades, we feel this custom does not resonate with our brand values and clearly is at odds with modern day societal norms. We don’t believe the practice is appropriate or relevant to Formula 1 and its fans, old and new, across the world,” said Sean Bratches, managing director of commercial operations.
The possibility of an F1 change of policy was announced in December. The move came just days after a similar decision was taken by the Professional Darts Corporation (PDC) to end its practice of using ‘walk-on girls’.
Now some women, whose current or past jobs have apparently been scrapped amid the broader heated debate over workspace sexual harassment, are venting their anger on social media. They say they have become victims of a misplaced eagerness to defend women’s rights.
“Ridiculous that women who say they are ‘fighting for women’s rights’ are saying what others should and shouldn’t do, stopping us from doing a job we love and are proud to do,” tweeted F1 grid girl Rebecca Cooper.“Because of these feminists, they’ve cost us our jobs! I have been a grid girl for 8 years and I have Never felt uncomfortable!” said model Lauren-Jade Pope, with many more joining in with similar messages.
Do you think the world has gone PC mad or is uit for the best? Let us know!
letters@weekender.news

A British man wanted in connection with a series of violent assaults and sexual abuse was arrested in Cadiz on his 44th birthday.  Named only as David M by the authorities but thought to be David McBride from Fife, he was detained after a raid on the city centre hostel where he was on holiday.

The man has a string of offences dating back to 2005 in his home town. These include sexual abuse and rape of minors, rape and assault of his partner when she was pregnant and physical assault of his three year old son. A European arrest warrant had been taken out against him in 2015 after he failed to turn up for trial. It is thought he has moved around Europe in the meantime but something triggered the authorities to the fact that he was in Cadiz. He is likely to face extradition back to the UK to face trial.

A British newspaper has reported how some travel agents have been discouraging stag and hen parties from going to Benidorm, prompting speculation that the resort is taking major steps to restore its family friendly image. The Scottish Daily Record said that Allan McDonald, 34, had been planning a stag trip to Benidorm but two separate travel agents said he could run into problems in the resort. The group of nine would not be welcome in many hotels and they would need to split the bookings into pairs. Even then they faced being asked to leave if the hotel discovered that they were together for a stag party.  In the end Allan and his friends opted for the pricier, but less choosy, option of Tenerife.

Emma Martin, from Freedom LTD in the UK which specialises in organising stag and hen trips said “Hotels are becoming more stringent on allowing groups of stags and hens to stay. Some really hate them and have raised prices to discourage the groups.”

Benidorm’s RH Hotels Group, Levante Club and Grand Luxor Hotel have all confirmed that they will not accept stag or hen groups as well as group bookings of more than four rooms. It is thought that many other hotels and apartments have similar policies, either officially or unofficially. However The Eventa Group, which specialises in such trips, said that stag bookings were up by 17% last year – although admitted hen parties had reduced by 25%.

LOCAL Police in Benidorm were the first on the scene after a passer-by reported that an elderly man had fallen at Cala Tio Ximo in the Serra Gelada. He could not move and appeared to be suffering with the cold but as the victim could not speak any Spanish the witness was unable to give more detail.

When the police arrived they formed a human chain to rescue the man. Further questioning revealed him to be a 68-year-old British citizen, an Alzheimer’s sufferer who had been reported missing earlier that day by his family. He was treated by health care workers at the scene and moved to the Marina Baixa Hospital for further monitoring.

THE captain of a catamaran that ferries passengers between Alicante and the Isle of Tabarca faces charges after testing positive for cocaine and cannabis while in charge of the vessel. He had over 50 passengers on board while he was at the helm, including a party of 32 schoolchildren. The vessel was stopped by the marine arm of the Guardia Civil in a random inspection. They took the decision to also test the captain for drugs and alcohol which came up positive for the two substances. As well as facing charges from the police the man will also be subject to an inquiry by the Alicante harbourmaster and may well lose his licence to operate.

SPAIN’S largest supermarket, Mercadona, announced continued healthy profits of €636 in 2016, an increase of 4% from 2015. They increased their workforce by a 1,000 and now employ nearly 80,000 people across Spain and expect to increase this in 2017. To give an idea of their importance to the Spanish economy they are currently responsible for 1.8% of Spain’s total GDP.  The firm remain very much a Valencian company and still has ambitions for this year. These include the expansion of their “smart-stores” initiative, expansion into Portugal and improvements to their website which they admit “sucks”.